Twelve Bridges Middle School Dress Code
2017-2018 School Year
The purpose of the Twelve Bridges Middle School Dress Code is to set a tone of academic and behavioral excellence for our students. Adhering to the TBMS Dress Code helps promote the safety of our students and fosters a positive learning environment on our campus. The expectation of the administration and staff is that each student will follow the dress code during school hours, athletic events, field trips, activity days, dances, assemblies, and performances. The responsibility for the dress and grooming of a student rests primarily with the student and his or her parents or guardians. Students in violation of the TBMS dress code will be required to change into their PE clothes. Students will not be allowed to attend class until the dress code violation has been corrected. Students will only be allowed to call home for a change of clothes as a last resort. In addition, a violation of the dress code may result in a school detention and repeat violations of the dress code may result in an Administrative Referral and or suspension.
1. Shoes must be worn at all times.
2. Clothing must be free of references to alcohol, drugs, gangs, violence, bigotry or
sexual connotation. No gang-associated colors or symbols are allowed on the TBMS campus.
3. Clothing must not expose the midsection or underclothing. Girls tops may not be
low-cut in the front or back. Appropriateness to be determined by administration.
4. Body piercings, deemed a distraction by the administration, are not allowed.
5. Students shall NOT wear articles of clothing, jewelry or accessories, which, in the
opinion of administration, might disrupt school activities or could pose a threat to the
physical well-being or safety of students or others.
6. No bra or Bralette straps may be exposed or visible.
7. Off the shoulder shirts are not allowed.
8. Cut out shoulders and/or shoulder straps on all shirts or dresses must have a minimum width of two fingers.
9. Tank tops are allowed, but shoulder straps must have a minimum width of two fingers.
10. Students may wear pants only one size larger than their waist size – no sagging.
11. Students may wear shirts only one size larger than their regular shirt size.
12. All shorts and skirts (female and male) should extend to a minimum length of the student's pinky finger (and no shorter). This measurement will be determined by the student extending their arms and hands to their side in order to examine the “hemline” of the garment in relation to the pinky. Shorts and skirts deemed inappropriate by the administration will not be allowed on campus.\
13. Holes in pants or any “skin exposing” fraying of the jeans or shorts must be below the pinky “hemline” for each student.
14. Tights, leggings, yoga pants, and other sheer varieties of clothing must be covered by length appropriate shorts.
15. Belts must fit students and be contained in belt loops. No hanging belts or wallet
16. Hats may be worn at school, but must be worn facing front. Hats may not be worn to the side,
sideways or backwards at any time. Teacher discretion will be used for wearing hats inside the
17. Pajamas are not to be worn to school unless it is designated spirit day.
18. Blankets and pillows are not allowed at school.
19. Any hair colors that are deemed a distraction by administration are not allowed.